Handcrafted Yoshimi Kato Aogami Super (Blue Super) gyuto with nashiji finish, mounted on an ebony handle with white buffalo horn kuchiwa. Nashiji finishing is gaining popularity both in inside and outside Japan. The Nashiji finish done by master Kato on this superb AS blade is simply one of the most tasteful we have seen.
- Origin: Echizen, Fukui Prefecture
- Craftsman: Mr. Yoshimi Kato
- Knife Type: Gyuto
- Steel Type: Aogami Super (Blue Super)
- Hardness Level: 64
- Blade Finish: Nashiji
- Blade Type: Double-edged Blade
- Blade Length: 210mm (8.2") or 240mm (9.4")
- Blade Height (at heel): 51mm / 47mm
- Blade Thickness (above heel): 2.2mm
- Custom Premium Handle
- Handle Material: Ebony
- Kuchiwa Material: Blonde Buffalo Horn
- Handle Length: 127mm / 150mm
- Weight: 180g (6.34oz) / 195g (6.87oz)
- Hand chiselled mark: In Japanese Kanji "Echizen Kintaro Made" 越前 金太郎 作
- Comes in a Yoshimi/Echizen box
About Yoshimi Kato 加藤 義実
Yoshimi Kato (Yoshimi Katou) is a renowned blacksmith in Fukui Prefecture. In pursuit of forging technology, he has followed his father Hiroshi Kato for years making every effort to produce sharp and easy-to-use knives, before taking over the family business. His knives are highly valued in Japan.
Aogami Super (Blue Super) is a high carbon steel found on high-end Japanese kitchen knives (Wa knives). It is not stainless steel, therefore you must wipe your knife dry after each use, in particular the core steel (cutting edge) not covered by the stainless cladding. Patina will develop over time, which will appear as “discoloration” on cutting edge, but that is the nature of carbon steel - not a defect. Avoid cutting into bones, frozen foods, hard fruit pits.
Cutting Surface: Wood, rubberized boards and high-end composites, and quality plastics such as polyethylene make acceptable cutting surfaces, and will help protect and prolong knife’s edge. AVOID glass, metal, countertops, and other rigid, non-forgiving surfaces.
Sharpening: We recommend sharpening all quality Japanese knives on whetstones, as we believe they yield the best results for your knives.