Handcrafted Kato Yoshimi R2/SG2 gyuto with a Tsuchime (hand hammered) finish, and an equally special limited edition hand-crafted cherry wood handle made by the renowned Japanese knife handle maker Sadao Nishihara.
- Origin (Made in): Echizen, Fukui Prefecture, Japan
- Brand: Yoshimi Kato
- Craftsman: Yoshimi Kato
- Knife Type: Gyuto
- Construction: San Mai
- Grind: Double-edged Blade (50/50 Grind)
- Hagane (Core Steel): R2/SG2
- Jigane (Cladding): Stainless Steel
- Hardness: 63 HRC
- Hand-forged, hand-grinded, hand-sharpened
- Blade Finishes: Tsuchime (Hammered)
- Blade Length: 210mm (8.3") / 240mm (9.4")
- Blade Height (at heel): 47mm / 52mm
- Spine Thickness
- Above heel: 2.0mm / 2.0mm
- Middle: 1.9mm / 2.0mm
- Craftsman: Sadao Nishihara
- Shape: Western-shaped
- Material: Cherry wood
- Bolster: Stainless Steel
- Length: 119mm / 132mm
- Overall Length: 341mm / 382mm
- Weight: 201g (7.09oz) / 238g (8.40oz)
- Hand Chiselled Mark: In Japanese Kanji "Echizen Forged Knife" (越前打刃物)
About Yoshimi Kato 加藤 義実
Yoshimi Kato (Yoshimi Katou) is a renowned blacksmith in Fukui Prefecture. In pursuit of forging technology, he has followed his father Hiroshi Kato for years making every effort to produce sharp and easy-to-use knives, before taking over the family business. His knives are highly valued in Japan.
Wash and dry with a soft sponge, and safely store after use. Avoid cutting into bones, frozen foods, hard fruit pits.
Recommended cutting surface: wood, rubberized boards and high-end composites, and quality plastics such as polyethene make acceptable cutting surfaces, and will help protect and prolong knife’s edge. AVOID glass, metal, countertops, and other rigid, non-forgiving surfaces.
We recommend sharpening all quality Japanese knives on whetstones, as we believe they yield the best results for your knives.