This Zanmai "Forest" gyuto has a thin spine and beautiful thin grind, giving it laser-like cutting performance. The solid monosteel blade gives the knife a clean look, and the AUS8 steel makes the knife very affordable. Although the Molybdenum steel does not offer as good edge retention as the VG10, it is slightly more forgiving. The unique hand-polished green micarta handle showcases Zanmai's refined production qualities - a result of merging Seki's blade making tradition with innovative technologies. The spine and choil of this series are less polished than other higher-end series, but still offers better overall fit and finish than other knives at this price range. The signature Zanmai fit and finish can still be seen all over this knife, from the beautiful handle with mirror finished end cap to the precision ground blade.
- Origin (Made in): Seki, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
- Brand: Mcusta Zanmai
- Model No.: HBG-6004M / HBG-6005M / HBG-6007M / HBG-6013M
- Knife Type: Gyuto
- Construction: Monosteel
- Grind: Double-edged Blade (50/50 Grind)
- Steel Type: AUS-8
- Hardness: 58-59 HRC
- Blade Length: 180mm (7.1") / 210mm (8.3") / 240mm (9.4") / 270mm (10.6")
- Blade Height (at heel): 42mm / 47mm / 50mm / 57mm
- Spine Thickness
- Above heel: 2.2mm / 2.3mm / 2.2mm / 2.2mm
- Middle: 1.8mm / 1.9mm / 2.0mm / 1.8mm
- Shape: Western-shaped
- Material: Green Micarta
- Length: 125mm / 127mm / 127mm / 178mm
- Overall Length: 312mm / 345mm / 374mm / 404mm
- Weight: 167g (5.89oz) / 205g (7.23oz) / 217g (7.65oz) / 230g (8.11oz)
- Mark: In Japanese Kanji "Zanmai" (三昧) ; Mcusta Zanmai logo ; "Molybdenum Vanadium" ; "Made in Japan"
- Engraved mark (bottom cap) : Mcusta Zanmai logo with Mirror Finishing
About Mcusta Zanmai 三昧
Mcusta Zanmai is based in Seki City of Japan, a town with over 800 years of swordsmithing history. While embracing Seki's blade-making traditions, Zanmai is also bringing innovative technologies such as CNC machine and laser cutting into the workshop, making the brand a rare and seamless integration of craftsman traditions and modern technologies. Zanmai knives have unique handles that not only pay homage to traditional Wa handle design, but also bringing innovations such as high temperature compressed layers of natural Pakkawood to create polished and strong handles. Zanmai's laser cutting of VG10 steel produces high precision finish on monosteel blades. Mcusta craftsmen finish each knife on Japanese Waterstones to give their knives refined looks.
Wash and dry with a soft sponge, and safely store after use. Avoid cutting into bones, frozen foods, hard fruit pits.
Wood, rubberized boards and high-end composites, and quality plastics such as polyethylene make acceptable cutting surfaces, and will help protect and prolong knife’s edge. AVOID glass, metal, countertops, and other rigid, non-forgiving surfaces.
We recommend sharpening all quality Japanese knives on whetstones, as we believe they yield the best results for your knives.