The "Byakko" (白虎, translated as "White Tiger") knife set is the second out of four sets in the "Shishin" (四神, translated as "Four Gods") collector's series, which is made for celebrating the 10th anniversary of Mcusta Zanmai. This knife set includes 4 knives that all feature a blade made of R2/SG2 powdered steel core, clad in stainless steel in Damascus finish. The handles are made of acrylic, and the pattern depicts the image of a white tiger. This unique collection is meticulously polished by Zanmai's top craftsmen, and given the highest level of fit and finish Zanmai has ever done.
The set comes with a unique ancient Japanese paulownia chest for storage. Only 50 sets have been made available worldwide, and Burrfection Store is proud to present the 20th set (20/50) in our collection.
- Origin (Made in): Seki, Gifu Prefecture, Japan
- Brand: Mcusta Zanmai
- Model No.: ZLB-9002GD / ZLB-9003GD / ZLB-9005GD / ZLB-9006GD
- Knife Type: Petty / Santoku / Gyuto / Kiritsuke
- Construction: San Mai
- Grind: Double-edged Blade (50/50 Grind)
- Hagane (Core Steel): R2/SG2
- Jigane (Cladding): Stainless Steel
- Hardness: 62-63 HRC
- Blade Finishes:
- Kyomen (Mirror)
- Blade Length: 150mm (5.9") / 180mm (7.1") / 210mm (8.3") / 230mm (9.1")
- Blade Height (at heel): 29mm / 44mm / 45mm / 45mm
- Spine Thickness
- Above heel: 2.1mm / 2.1mm / 2.1mm / 2.2mm
- Middle: 2.0mm / 2.0mm / 2.0mm / 2.1mm
- Shape: Special Hachikaku (Octagonal)
- Material: Reinforced Acrylic
- Decorative: Mosaic Pin
- Kuchiwa / Tsukajiri: Stainless Steel
- Length: 126mm / 139mm / 139mm / 139mm
- Engraved mark (Bottom Cap) : "Byakko" logo with Mirror Finishing
- Overall Length: 282mm / 333mm / 362mm / 381mm
- Weight: 121g (4.27oz) / 185g (6.53oz) / 201g (7.09oz) / 217g (7.65oz)
- Mark: In Japanese Kanji "Zanmai" (三昧) ; Mcusta Zanmai logo ; " Mcusta Zanmai SPG2 Damascus Steel Made in Japan" ; "White Tiger" (白虎)
- Comes in a Decorative Wooden Box (Paulownia Chest of drawers) and Certificates.
About Mcusta Zanmai 三昧
Mcusta Zanmai is based in Seki City of Japan, a town with over 800 years of swordsmithing history. While embracing Seki's blade making traditions, Zanmai is also bringing innovative technologies such as CNC machine and laser cutting into the workshop, making the brand a rare and seamless integration of craftsman traditions and modern technologies. Zanmai knives have unique handles that not only pay homage to traditional Wa handle design, but also brining innovations such as high temperature compressed layers of natural Pakkawood to create polished and strong handles. Zanmai's laser cutting of VG10 steel produces high precision finish on monosteel blades. Mcusta craftsmen finish each knife on Japanese Waterstones to give their knives refined looks.
Wash and dry with a soft sponge, and safely store after use. Avoid cutting into bones, frozen foods, hard fruit pits.
Wood, rubberized boards and high-end composites, and quality plastics such as polyethylene make acceptable cutting surfaces, and will help protect and prolong knife’s edge. AVOID glass, metal, countertops, and other rigid, non-forgiving surfaces.
We recommend sharpening all quality Japanese knives on whetstones, as we believe they yield the best results for your knives.