This copper Oroshigane is made of high-quality copper with tin plating. The teeth on the front and back are of different sizes, one for coarse grating and one for fine grating. Each tooth is hand-hammered by skilled Japanese craftsmen in the famous blade town of Tsubame. Oroshigane is undoubtedly one of the most aesthetically amazing handmade kitchen tools from Japan.
There are 7 sizes, from the largest size O-1 to the smallest size O-7. Length includes handle.
|Model No.||Size (Metric)||Size (Imperial)|
|O-1||320mm x 155mm
||12.6" x 6.1"|
|O-2||280mm x 140mm||11" x 5.5"|
|O-3||255mm x 130mm
||10" x 5.1"|
|O-4||225mm x 120mm
||8.6" x 4.7"|
|O-5||190mm x 100mm||7.5" x 3.9"|
|O-6||160mm x 80mm||6.3" x 3.1"|
|O-7||120mm x 60mm||4.7" x 2.4"|
Handmade in Japan
- Origin (Made in): Tsubame, Niigata Prefecture, Japan
- Brand: Shinkodo (part of Shinkokinzoku)
- Type: Oroshigane (Japanese Grater)
- Material: Copper with tin plating
- Front side: Coarse teeth
- Back side: Fine teeth
- Size of Grating Area / Weight
- O-1: 16 x 15.5cm / 551g (19.44oz)
- O-2: 14.5 x 14cm / 473 g (16.68oz)
- O-3: 13.5 x 13cm / 391g (13.79oz)
- O-4: 12.5 x 12cm / 314g (11.08oz)
- O-5: 10.5 x 10cm / 234g (8.25oz)
- O-6: 8.5 x 8cm / 158g (5.57oz)
- O-7: 6.5 x 6cm / 90g (3.17oz)
- Mark: In Japanese Kanji "Shinkodo Pure Copper (新光堂 純銅)" ; Model No.
About Shinkodo 新光堂
Founded in 1959, Shinkokinzoku (the brand owner of Shinkodo) is renowned for making non-ferrous metals. Inheriting old metalwork traditions, they create unique copper products that combine safety, functionality, quality, and design. Shinkodo is a high-end brand of Shinkokinzoku, specializing in handmade metal tools.
Wipe your grater and dry after use. Remove dirt with a small toothbrush or scourer lightly. Avoid using chlorine bleach, cleansers, and steel scrubbing brushes. Don't soak the copper grater in water for a long time as it may rust. Patinas do not affect performance - use copper polish if you wish to restore copper shine, and rinse thoroughly afterward.