- Origin: Sanjo City, Niigata Prefecture
- Craftsman: Kazuomi Yamamoto
- Knife Type: Gyuto
- Steel Type: Shirogami 2 (White #2)
- Hardness Level: 62
- Blade Type: Double-edged Blade
- Blade construction: San Mai
- Jigane/Cladding: Stainless Steel
- Blade Finish: Nashiji
- Blade Length: 210mm (8.2")
- Blade Height: 46mm
- Blade Thickness (at heel): 4mm
- Handle Style: Octagonal Wa Handle
- Handle Material: Teak or Wenge (Kakumaki: Buffalo Horn)
- Handle Length: 135mm
- Weight: 146g (5.15oz) (Teak) / 160g (5.64oz) (Wenge)
- Marking: “Ryky 1 of 100 Launch Edition” (Number is not sequential. One hundred knives for each handle option. All 100 knives printed “1 of 100”, meaning one of one hundred.)
About Yoshikane Hamono
With 4th generation artisan Kazuomi Yamamoto on the throne, Yoshikina Hamono is a Japanese knife making company in Sanjo City, Niigata with over 100 years history. Founded in 1919 by Shimotajima. Yoshikane Hamono has been making knives by hand for generations in this tiny Japanese town well known for its metalware. To date, they have kept going in the traditional way with such focus and dedication that can only be found in this part of the world.
Shirogami #2 (white #2) steel is one of the most popular steel type found in Japanese kitchen knives (Wa Knives). It is not stainless steel, therefore you must wipe your knife dry after each use, in particular the core steel not covered by the stainless cladding. The stainless cladding cover a large part of the blade, making maintenance easier but still preserve the cutting and sharpening pleasure of the Shirogami core. Avoid cutting into bones, frozen foods, hard fruit pits.
Cutting Surface: Wood, rubberized boards and high-end composites, and quality plastics such as polyethylene make acceptable cutting surfaces, and will help protect and prolong knife’s edge. AVOID glass, metal, countertops, and other rigid, non-forgiving surfaces.
Sharpening: We recommend sharpening all quality Japanese knives on whetstones, as we believe they yield the best results for your knives.